The Socrates tools accelerate and enhance the IP design and verification process by auto-generating correct-by-construction code and documentation. Socrates also provides a standardized and consistent format for IP hand-off to internal and external teams.
The Socrates Bitwise tool can be used to specify all of the interfaces to the IP, including component, port and register information. User-Defined Properties (UDPs) can be used to extend the standard data model with user, project or company-specific information. The Socrates coherency checks are used to verify that the captured information is coherent and correct. Coherency checks must be run before any outputs are generated to ensure that the generated outputs result from a valid specification. IP-related outputs auto-generated from Socrates Bitwise typically include:
- Documentation – MS Word, HTML, PDF or other document formats describing the IP, its ports and registers. By linking to functional descriptions, a full IP datasheet can be automatically generated. All generators are fully customizable so that customer-specific document styles such as logos and fonts can be easily reproduced
- SystemC register model for TLM2.0 system modelling
- C headers for verification and embedded software access
- VR_AD register definition for Specman verification
- OVM / UVM SystemVerilog register model
- OVM / UVM verification environment
- VHDL or Verilog RTL – the generated RTL includes an IP top-level that instantiates a boilerplate functional core block as well as a memory/register block. The memory/register block implements all functional code for register and memory accesses and hook-up to the functional core
- IP statistical information – number of ports, interfaces, registers, bitfields etc.
All of these outputs are generated in just seconds so that any change to the IP specification results in an immediate update of all relevant collateral and ensures that all teams using the IP remain fully synchronized at all times. The IP information can be output in the industry-standard IP-XACT format for hand-off to internal or external customers or for processing by third-party tools or scripts.
Using Socrates, IP developers can deliver high-quality IP designs, in a reusable industry-standard (IP-XACT) format, faster and easier than ever before.